Nonprofit Law/Members of Booster Club

Hi Harvey,

I am working on revising our Booster Club Bylaws.. We currently have a Secretary, President, Treasurer in place... The previous board mentioned that there MUST be 3 people on the board in order to be legal an have a booster club.. I can't find this information any where. Can you provide to me a link or answer? I think we may be losing our secretary and I don't know if we can run the board with just a president and treasurer or can someone hold two positions?

Phyllis Hardiman

Let me if the organization is a Arizona Nonprofit Corporation. I will assume it is and answer on that basis, but, if it is not, let me know what type of entity it is and I will reply further.

Arizona Code Title 10 Chapters 24 - 42 has the State Law for Nonprofit Corporations and it is available at:

Specifically note section 10-3840
--- start of excerpt ---
A. A corporation shall have the officers described in its articles of incorporation or bylaws or appointed by the board of directors in accordance with the articles of incorporation or bylaws.
B. A duly appointed officer may appoint one or more officers or assistant officers if authorized by the bylaws or the board of directors.
C. The bylaws or the board of directors shall delegate to one of the officers responsibility for preparing minutes of the directors' and members' meetings and for authenticating records of the corporation.
D. The same individual may simultaneously hold more than one office in a corporation.
--- end of excerpt ---

Therefore, to answer your questions, you do not need 3 different people to hold offices.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic

I am an attorney and I volunteer time to answer general questions about U.S. Federal income tax issues of nonprofit 501(c)(3) public charities only. Those questions could be about establishing and maintaining legal requirements for such non-profit organizations in the United States, including Internal Revenue service filings and requirements. I will not be working on this free forum to answer questions about Nonprofit's possible unrelated or for-profit businesses or how to fill out forms. This forum is only for general questions about federal tax law, not as the law applies to your specific situation. If you do not make your question public then I will not be spending much of my donated time on answers that would not benefit the public. If you have other questions, please contact me at I will reply from my email. In any case, do not reveal confidential information to me until after I have contracted with you to provide personal legal services. My responses on this forum are intended to be general statements of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, and do not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather extensive information about the situation. To search my previous answers you can do a Google search by "" without the quotes and then add your search terms before hitting enter.

I have been practicing law and especially the law of nonprofit organizations since 1990 when I was admitted to the New York Bar and I have maintained my status with the Bar since that time.

B.S. Columbia University in New York City, 1970

J.D. (Law Degree) Brooklyn Law School, 1990 -- Cum Laude.