Nonprofit Law/New York certificate of incorporation app./non-profit

Question
I have an application of incorporation/non-profit for the state of New York.

How does charitable or non-charitable status effect my intention to produce products for sale,
to raise money for the foundation's programs?

Where do I find the language from the Internal Revenue Service that should be listed in the Ninth section of the application

I am a Designer/Artist/Musician. The foundation will promote International Art,Design and Culture.
My work(Art,Furniture and Textile Design,Sculpture,etc.) would be sold to produce revenue for
the foundation,along with grants and crowd funding.

Answer
Section 502 of the Internal Revenue Code reads, in relevant part,
"An organization operated for the primary purpose of carrying on a
trade or business for profit shall not be exempt from taxation
under section 501 on the ground that all of its profits are payable
to one or more organizations exempt from taxation under section
501."
http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/26/A/1/F/I/502

Your main revenue activity is sales of your work and, therefore, your organization would not qualify to be a 501(c)(3) organization under IRS regulations.

Further, if you receive any compensation for your work in the creation of the works, that would normally preclude exemption as a 501(c)(3) organization under the principle called, private inurement. See "The Crux of Charity: Inurement, Private Benefit, and Excess Benefit Transactions" which is a 59 page pdf 2004 draft paper available at:
http://www1.law.nyu.edu/ncpl/pdfs/2004/Conf2004_Dale_DRAFT.pdf

I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions about IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. I have given you the above information, but, as it appears that your organization would not qualify as a 501(c)(3) organization I would not be going further, for example, by suggesting what you would put in section "Ninth" of your application.  I have in my profile in my forum at http://bit.ly/NonprofitLaw the free service that I offer is only for questions directly related to IRS exempt purpose issues of 501(c)(3) organizations.

If you want to hire me, send me an email directly to my email address below and I will quote you my fees.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Member of New York Bar
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic