Nonprofit Law/501c3 requiring volunteer time

Question
Is it legal for a 501c3 to require members to volunteer?  My daughter is a member of a youth organization and they require parents to volunteer for the end of year competition and also the yearly fundraiser.  
Thank you

Answer
If some work is required then it is not, by definition, voluntary, under tax law considerations.
The organization you are referring to appears to not be a booster organization but actually an organization that conducts the youth sporting activities. Such a 501(c)(3) organization, like schools that are 501(c)(3) organizations, may charge tuition and require work but then the value of the work is considered taxable as any other employment.

The U.S. Department of Education discusses taxable benefits "a graduate student who is required to teach in exchange for a scholarship is taxed.
http://pages.citebite.com/r6y4j3d7fgrj

Note that the organization would have had to reveal the work requirements before accepting any member who was paying fees.  Otherwise, the organization would be trying to breach an earlier agreement to provide services for certain money fees.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic