Nonprofit Law/donations

Question
QUESTION: I am a member of a sorority which has established a non profit organization to help with fundraising activities such as scholarships. Members of the sorority are automatic members of the foundation. A debutante ball is planned to take place and the girls are asked to raise money by requests for ads, donation and sponsorships using the foundations name in order to raise money for scholarships. The girls are all under the age of eighteen. Is this legal?

ANSWER: I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions about IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations.  A sorority is not qualified to be such a 501(c)(3) organization. It appears you are going to be a social club and social clubs do not qualify for 501(c)(3) organization status.  IRC 501(c)(7) exempts from federal income tax, clubs "organized for pleasure, recreation, and other nonprofitable purposes, substantially all of the activities of which are for such purposes and no part of the net earnings of which inures to the benefit of any private shareholder."
http://www.irs.gov/irm/part7/irm_07-025-007.html

Even though yours is not a 501(c)(3) organization I will inform you that it appears that your organization is going to allow girls to raise money for their own deb ball and, if they do not then they would not get the benefits.  That is called by the IRS Private Inurement and is not allowed.  Such inurement is discussed in a recent U.S. Tax Court case at http://goo.gl/QS9wCH

As for the age of the girls, that is not an issue, as throughout the United States children raise funds through and for private 501(c)(3) booster organizations.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

QUESTION: Is there any type of paperwork or form that should be signed by the minors while engaged in this activity?

If the funds raised are pooled and then distributed according to a scale of participation among the girls does that change the status from being an private inurement to generic?

Answer
As I informed you earlier, I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions about IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. Your first question is  are controlled by state law and states may differ somewhat with how they would treat such issues. Even though this forum is not for such state law issues, I do advise that, if minors are involved, if you want some protection for the organization, you would have not only the minors sign but also one of the parents.

As for your question about scaling, that does not change my earlier answer. That scaling still involves grants based on factors other than charitable need or other bona fide factors acceptable for grant-makers of 501(c)(3) organizations.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic