Nonprofit Law/Excluding volunteers in a non profit booster club

Question
Is it against any IRS regulations for a 501(c)3 booster club organization to ban members from volunteering for the organization? I am part of a booster club for a high school band.  The band director (who is technically not part of the boosters) has problems with some of the parents, especially if they disagree with him on something.  He has told parents that if they are not supportive and are caught "gossiping", they may be told they are not allowed to volunteer at any band functions and any chairpersons who violate this policy will be removed from their positions.  The booster president is supporting him on this, and supposedly some parents have already being removed from certain committee lists.

Answer
You asked in your first sentence about a 501(c)(3) booster organization being able to ban members for volunteering for the 501(c)(3) booster organization activities.  Then, later, you refer to volunteer services at band functions.  There are two different scenarios under your facts about alleged "gossiping", but the conclusions are identical:  

1.  A 501(c)(3) organization may prevent even members from doing work for the organization.
2.  A school district may prevent parents from doing work at school district events.  

Work includes volunteer work.  

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic