Nonprofit Law/Membership requirements

Question
I am a trustee of a 501(c)(3) museum.  We do not have a requirements in our bylaws to have members, although we do recognize levels of donors.  Is their a legal requirement to have members, and if so, is the corporation required to hold member meetings and provide for member voting rights as part of the governance?

Answer
Every state has in its code a requirement that either the articles of incorporation or bylaws specify whether there will be voting members.  As for Virginia,  The Virginia Nonstock Corporations Act is available at http://goo.gl/YfmPy and specifically, note 13.1-846, "Members shall not be entitled to vote except as the right to vote shall be conferred by the articles of incorporation or if the articles of incorporation so provide, in the bylaws."  Therefore, I would need to look at the articles of incorporation (and then possibly the bylaws) and then I could go further on this. If you provide me with a copy of the articles of incorporation I will advise you further.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic