Nonprofit Law/Do i Qualify for NOn profit

Question
Hello,I own and play for an adult amateur football team. i started the team last year 2013. We played a Whole season;a total of 5 home games. Each home game i had to pay $300 for stadium use, $150 for security and 400 for referees all out of pocket players did not get paid, we couldn't charge admission to get into games. I was told that only nonprofit organizations can rent the field free of charge. I'm wanting to know does my football team qualify for nonprofit and if so what all steps do i need to take to make this happen? I already have DBA.

Answer
It appears you are going to be a social/recreational club and such activities do qualify for IRS 501(c)(7) nonprofit organization status.  IRC 501(c)(7) exempts from federal income tax, clubs "organized for pleasure, recreation, and other nonprofitable purposes, substantially all of the activities of which are for such purposes and no part of the net earnings of which inures to the benefit of any private shareholder."
http://www.irs.gov/irm/part7/irm_07-025-007.html

If you want nonprofit status you would need to establish nonprofit recreational trust, incorporate under a state's nonprofit corporation law, or set up an unincorporated nonprofit association. Your organizing document would need to state that it is organizing under Internal Revenue Code Section 501(c)(7) and have other required clauses. You would have at least
3 directors, with control of the board not in persons related by blood, marriage or other business.

After the initial set up, you would need to apply for a EIN (tax id number) http://snipurl.com/gij28

Before you start with all of that, though, I suggest that you request from the field manager a description of the documents that they would need to grant you free use.  Some field managers want certain documents and will not accept others.  For example, some require a determination letter from the IRS that your organization is exempt from income taxes.  Some would require a nonprofit corporation and not accept a trust.  After you receive that information in writing, then you can send to me and I will comment further as to the procedures in Texas.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic