Nonprofit Law/question

Question
I work for the Executive Director for the Shared Living Collaborative, Inc. (SLC) in Merrimac Massachusetts.  We are a non-profit 501 c(3) corporation that provides highly individualized and creative community living and vocational supports to children, adolescents and adult with cognitive impairments, and their families.   We have created an “Entrepreneurial Leadership Program” that was uniquely integrated into our curriculum.  The goal is to create and sustain opportunities for entrepreneurship, to develop meaningful work opportunities, promote choice, self-determination, leadership, social roles, and increase economic independence for those with cognitive impairments.

The Shared Living Collaborative “Entrepreneurs” have cultivated and embraced the need for a lifestyle change by manufactured a series of handmade environmentally friendly and sustainable items/products from recyclable materials in support of our planet.   Our goal is to have our member’s starts his or her own business with their ideas creating “whole life opportunities”.    I’m writing to you in hopes of gaining support and/or information to help make our “Entrepreneurs” dreams come true.     

As a beginning step for them;   I am  seeking information on setting up a small stand at our farm that we can welcome to the public.   All proceeds would go directly to the individuals that create and grow produce.    My questions are regarding special licenses  or permit  do make this happen?    Any assistance you may provide would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,
Carol-Ann  

Answer
I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions about IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. You should, therefore, look into local and state regulations as to road-side stands for sale of produce.

But, as for the IRS regulations, there is allowance for 501(c)(3) organizations to benefit directly their charitable beneficiaries.  For example, the IRS has approved "self-help" programs.
http://goo.gl/kmVKb4

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic