Nonprofit Law/question


I work for the Executive Director for the Shared Living Collaborative, Inc. (SLC) in Merrimac Massachusetts.  We are a non-profit 501 c(3) corporation that provides highly individualized and creative community living and vocational supports to children, adolescents and adult with cognitive impairments, and their families.   We have created an “Entrepreneurial Leadership Program” that was uniquely integrated into our curriculum.  The goal is to create and sustain opportunities for entrepreneurship, to develop meaningful work opportunities, promote choice, self-determination, leadership, social roles, and increase economic independence for those with cognitive impairments.

The Shared Living Collaborative “Entrepreneurs” have cultivated and embraced the need for a lifestyle change by manufactured a series of handmade environmentally friendly and sustainable items/products from recyclable materials in support of our planet.   Our goal is to have our member’s starts his or her own business with their ideas creating “whole life opportunities”.    I’m writing to you in hopes of gaining support and/or information to help make our “Entrepreneurs” dreams come true.     

As a beginning step for them;   I am  seeking information on setting up a small stand at our farm that we can welcome to the public.   All proceeds would go directly to the individuals that create and grow produce.    My questions are regarding special licenses  or permit  do make this happen?    Any assistance you may provide would be greatly appreciated!


I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions about IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. You should, therefore, look into local and state regulations as to road-side stands for sale of produce.

But, as for the IRS regulations, there is allowance for 501(c)(3) organizations to benefit directly their charitable beneficiaries.  For example, the IRS has approved "self-help" programs.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Nonprofit Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Harvey Mechanic


DO NOT GIVE ME INFORMATION THAT YOU WANT KEPT CONFIDENTIAL. I am an attorney and I volunteer time to answer general questions about U.S. Federal income tax issues of nonprofit 501(c)(3) public charities only. Those questions could be about establishing and maintaining legal requirements for such non-profit organizations in the United States, including Internal Revenue service filings and requirements. I will not be working on this free forum to answer questions about Nonprofit's possible unrelated or for-profit businesses or how to fill out forms. This forum is only for general questions about federal tax law, not as the law applies to your specific situation. If you do not make your question public then I will not be spending much of my donated time on answers that would not benefit the public. If you have other questions, please contact me at I will reply from my email. In any case, do not reveal confidential information to me until after I have contracted with you to provide personal legal services. My responses on this forum are intended to be general statements of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, and do not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather extensive information about the situation. To search my previous answers you can do a Google search by "" without the quotes and then add your search terms before hitting enter.


I have been practicing law and especially the law of nonprofit organizations since 1990 when I was admitted to the New York Bar and I have maintained my status with the Bar since that time.


B.S. Columbia University in New York City, 1970

J.D. (Law Degree) Brooklyn Law School, 1990 -- Cum Laude.

©2017 All rights reserved.