Nonprofit Law/Church Organization

Question
According to the IRS tax guide for churches, a church must have a distinct legal existence.  I am not sure what this means.  Must it be incorporated?  Also, for the state of PA does it need to be incorporated?

Also, must the pastor be an ordained minister?

Thank You

Answer
The IRS Exempt Organization's section (EO) shows what the distinct legal existence is. Individuals or others establishing a 501(c)(3) organization receive exemption only if they formed one of three types of
entities, "8 ORG Organization Code - This code indicates whether the organization is a trust, a  corporation, or an unincorporated association.
http://goo.gl/ybFwn3

No state requires incorporation, but accepts all three types of entities.

The pastor may not be an ordained minister, but that is one of the many factors that the IRS looks at in deciding if it will grant "church" status to a nonprofit organization.  See "Tax Guide for Churches and Religious Organizations" at www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1828.pdf on page 27
--start of excerpt  ---
Certain characteristics are generally attributed to churches. These attributes of a church have been developed by the IRS and by court decisions.  They include: distinct legal existence; recognized creed and form of worship; definite and distinct ecclesiastical government; formal code of doctrine and discipline; distinct religious history; membership not associated with any other church or denomination; organization of ordained ministers; ordained ministers selected after completing prescribed courses of
study; literature of its own; established places of worship; regular congregations; regular religious services; Sunday schools for the religious instruction of the young; schools for the preparation of its ministers.

The IRS generally uses a combination of these characteristics, together with other facts and circumstances, to determine whether an organization is considered a church for Federal tax purposes.

--end of excerpt  ---

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic