Nonprofit Law/Dissolution of a 501c3

Question
I am currently President of a 501c3 booster in Pennsylvania. Many members wish to dissolve and return to a club stastus. If a vote to dissolve was achieved I understand that a dissolution plan would need to be submitted to the membership, but I do not understand what steps would need to be taken with existing financial holdings? Also would another non 501c3 booster need to be formed to replace the existing booster or would be just change back?

Answer
It appears that your organization is a Pennsylvania Nonprofit Corporation.  Correct me if I am wrong.

In order to have obtained IRS exemption determination, a 501(c)(3) organization would have had to have the IRS required clauses in its Articles of Incorporation as discussed starting on page 26 at
"Organizational test" at www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p557.pdf

Some variation is allowed by the sample dissolution clause is on page 77:
---Start of Excerpt--
Sixth: Upon the dissolution of the corporation, assets shall be distributed for one or more exempt purposes within the meaning of section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, or the corresponding section of any future federal tax code, or shall be distributed to the federal government, or to a state or local government, for a public purpose. Any such assets not so disposed of shall be disposed of by a Court of Competent Jurisdiction of the county in which the principal office of the corporation is then
located, exclusively for such purposes or to such organization or organizations, as said Court shall determine, which are organized and operated exclusively for such purposes.
---End of Excerpt--

You should look at your Articles of Incorporation which might have some variation.

You may search (Control-F in Windows) on http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/LI/CT/HTM/15/15.HTM
for "5301" (without the quotes) at about 40% of the way down that page  to go to section 5301 which is the start of the Pennsylvania Statutes for Nonprofit Corporation law.  Then go down to § 5971 which is entitled, "Voluntary dissolution by members or incorporators" and read that section and the ones below as to voluntary dissolution.

The State Attorney General's Office is a source of information.  They have a brochure at
When a nonprofit organization is dissolved, the Orphans’ Court must review the dissolution and approve the distribution of the assets. http://goo.gl/IrHqrY (pdf page 10)

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic