Nonprofit Law/NonProfits and activities

Question
Can you tell me if a radio station that is set up as a 501c, can do the following activities?   Rebroadcast Youtube audio, sell Tshirts, promote concerts that are not free, etc.  

Thank you,

Answer
I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions about IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. Therefore, I am assuming you are referring to such an organization.

There is no IRS regulation prohibiting use of YouTube audio.  There may be copyright issues, but that is not an IRS issue.  The sales of T-shirts, unless they contain as a very substantial portion, messages that are in furtherance of the exempt purposes of the organization, what the IRS considers, unrelated business and that is generally allowed, but taxable.

IRS Publication 598 "Tax on Unrelated Business Income of Exempt
Organizations" at
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p598.pdf
explains that,  if products or services are not directly related to
the charitable, educational, religious or other purpose or function
constituting the basis for its exemption (other than for production
of income), then the activities are generally taxable.

Their exact wording is found in the middle column of page 3
"Unrelated business income is the income from a
trade or business that is regularly carried on by
an exempt organization and that is not substan-
tially related to the performance by the organiza-
tion of its exempt purpose or function, except
that the organization uses the profits derived
from this activity."

The IRS has declared, "Nonprofit organizations that are granted
Federal tax exemption based on their mission-related purposes
are allowed by the IRS, within certain limits, to generate income
from unrelated business activities."
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-soi/97eounrl.pdf on pdf page 1. But, the
organization could, if it has more unrelated activities than
the IRS's vague "certain limit", be jeopardizing its exemption
depending upon the facts and circumstances.

The promotion of concerts that are not free may be permitted if the concerts are produced by that organization or another 501(c)(3) organization.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic