Nonprofit Law/Removing board members by volunteers 501C3

Question
QUESTION: If a Board forces the resignation of the Executive director can the President of the board assume control?
Does the Board "Own" the assets of the corp.
When the Board varies the function and intent of the corp. can it be dissolved and replaced to return corp. to it's original purpose and intent.
Corp. Is a horse rescue in NM.

ANSWER: New Mexico Nonprofit Corporation Law is available at
http://goo.gl/th0FCY and you will see there some details as to corporate authority.

1.  The President of the Board is not a normal title.  In any case, it appears you are referring to the Chairperson of the Board or the President of the corporation.  Although as you wrote that there was an executive director, by "President of the board", I am assuming you are referring to what is normally called the Chairperson of the Board.  Unless the articles of incorporation and bylaws provide that the President of board assume control of the day to day activities as the CEO, Executive Director, or President of the corporation would normally have, then that "President of the Board" many not assume any control.

2.  The Board of a nonprofit corporation does not own the assets of the corporation.  No one "owns" the assets of a nonprofit, nonstock corporation.  The board does control the assets, though.

3.  Your subject heading was "Removing board members by volunteers 501C3".  Volunteers have no authority unless such is provided in the articles of incorporation or bylaws. Voting members may be indicated in either the articles of incorporation or bylaws and, if the corporation has voting members, let me know and I will reply as to their rights in reference to removal of the board.  But, even when there are voting members, unless there is something specific in the articles of incorporation or bylaws, they only have rights to elect a board, not to remove a board member. http://goo.gl/YJS34l

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

QUESTION: Titles used were evidently created by board members themselves.
President of the Board professes to be head board member.
There are 4 currant Board Members, all 4 have voting rights.
What would be procedure if any to brake a monopoly Board that is running corp. into bankruptcy.

Answer
I would first need to know if there are any voting members of the corporation.  If so, then one or more would usually have standing in court to seek a court order for corporate reorganization. Other options may be in the corporation's bylaws.  If you want to hire me to work on it, contact me directly to my email address below.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic