Nonprofit Law/required donations?

Question
Can a "charity" require a specific donation of either money or work ( say, for a musical event), & refuse entry if you do not contribute? (I live in Virginia, should that matter..)

Answer
I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions about IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. Therefore, I am assuming you are referring by "Charity" to such an organization.

The word "charity" is a general word it can refer to either charitable, religious or educational activities.  A 501(c)(3) organization may charge admission fees to its events.

--- Start of Excerpt ---
The promotion of theatrical productions can be an educational
activity.
The promotion of the arts and of culture is generally recognized as
an educational activity. See Reg. 1.501(c)(3)-1(d)(3)(ii). The
following are exempt educational activities dedicated to such
pursuits....

Promoting jazz festivals and jazz concerts...

Conducting annual festivals to provide unknown film makers with
opportunities to display their films. Rev. Rul. 75-471, 1975-2 C.B.
207....
--- End of Excerpt ---
http://goo.gl/AsF2GW (which is section 7.25.3.7.10 of the Internal
Revenue Manual.

For example, the organization cited above which was granted exemption because it promoted jazz festivals charges admission to its events. "The organization periodically conducts public jazz festivals
or concerts at which members of the public may hear true American jazz, written and played by serious students of this form of music including famous jazz musicians.  Admission fees are charged for the purpose of helping to meet expenses."
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/rr65-271.pdf

When an organization states that it requires a minimum or specific donation for an event that is generally not considered a fully a donation for income tax purposes but is, instead, an admission fee for an event.  As to charitable deductions, see IRS Publication 526 "Charitable Donations"  which is available at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p526.pdf and specifically on page 6 middle column under the heading "ContributionsYou  Cannot Deduct" is "3. The part of a contribution from which you receive or expect to receive a benefit".  An example is given:
--- Start of Excerpt ---
You  pay  $65  for  a  ticket  to  a dinner-­dance at a church. Your entire $65 pay­ment goes to the church. The ticket to the din­ner-­dance has a fair market value of $25. When you  buy  your  ticket,  you  know  its  value  is  less than  your  payment.  To  figure  the  amount  of your  charitable  contribution,  subtract  the  value of the benefit you receive ($25) from your total payment ($65). You can deduct $40 as a chari­table contribution to the church.
--- End of Excerpt ---

Now if the 501(c)(3) organization gives the option to do work for the event or work for the organization and will give, in exchange admission to the event, that work is considered normal taxable employment, but the organization can give that option. The IRS Publication 15-B discusses taxable fringe benefits and is available at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p15b.pdf

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic