Nonprofit Law/Scholarships

Question
Can a 501c3 gymnastics booster club give out scholarships to gymnasts to help offset meet fees?  If this is legal, are there any restrictions?

Answer
 The IRS only refers to scholarships in the context of educational purposes within an educational institution. In their Publication 970 the IRS has, "A scholarship is generally an amount paid or
allowed to, or for the benefit of, a student at an educational institution to aid in the pursuit of studies. The student may be either an undergraduate or a graduate."
http://goo.gl/ZHdZS

Unless the gymnasts are representing a particular high school or college in the meeting, then, we would not use the word "scholarship".  In the area of nonprofits what the term would be is "grant".  A 501(c)(3) booster organization may certainly grant funds to a gymnast to help offset meet fees as long as the recipient is a "youth". My summary of IRS regulations relating to 501(c)(3) booster organizations is at: http://goo.gl/IdQwML and you may be interested to read that.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic