Nonprofit Law/Transferring partial assets to a Metro Agency

Question
QUESTION: In 2012, a 501(c)3 dissolved and the assets were transferred to us a current 501(c)3.  A separate program was created and the funds were managed separately.  Now, Metro Parks (where the original 501 was housed, wants to manage the assets again and has asked us to transfer the funds back to Metro.

The questions we have are how do we do this correctly so that we are not penalized from the State/TN since we are not dissolving nor are merging? Is Metro Parks required to do anything specifically for these funds/account?  We have spoken to the Charitable Solicitations, Division of Business Services and the Attorney General with no clear answer.

What are we supposed to do?

ANSWER: A 501(c)(3) organization may donate funds to a governmental agency when the funds will be used for public purposes.  I am assuming your organization is a public charity, but even if it were a private foundation, it could grant funds to a governmental agency for public purposes. The nonprofit Foundation Center has published:
--- Start of Excerpt ---
Generally, the IRS treats public school districts as government instrumentalities. As such, they are exempt from federal income tax and eligible to receive tax-deductible contributions from individuals under Section 170(c)(1) of the IRC. Additionally, grants to such organizations, provided that they are for public or charitable purposes, are considered qualifying distributions for grantmaking private foundations.
--- End of Excerpt ---
http://goo.gl/mqGcMv

I don't understand why your organization set up a separate program for the funds you received in 2012 and managed those funds separately.  If there was some state order or court order that came with the funds that bound your organization I would need to see a copy of that order.  Otherwise, I see no difficulty with your organization granting funds to Metro Parks unless there is something in your articles of incorporation or bylaws that prohibit such funding by your organization.   

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

QUESTION: No, it was not a State or Court Order.  We did so we could easily report back to Metro.  They still have the Disability Program as it was originally, they just dissolved the 501(c)3.  Can Metro governments accept private donations from citizens?  Maybe that's why they set up the 501 in the first place.

Answer
Yes. Metro governments may accept private donations from individuals. A  governmental unit, like a county government is able to receive deductible donations. See IRS Publication 526 "Charitable
Donations" www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p526.pdf on page 2 is the box chart which includes money or property deductible as charitable contributions to, "Federal, state, and local governments, if your contribution is solely for public purposes."  Sometimes, however, governmental entities want a 501(c)(3) organization established because they want to separate charity work duties away from the governmental entity or because they simply do not know that the governmental entity can accept donations without setting up a 501(c)(3) organization and have those donations deductible by the donors.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic