Nonprofit Law/2014 Pastor Compensation/Benefits

Question
QUESTION: Happy new year to you and thank you for your service.

For 2014 taxes, may a church (small, 2 employees) directly pay or reimburse pastor/employees and their spouses for their medical insurance and not have it count as taxable income?  It is my understanding that this is permissible.

In addition, may a church directly pay or reimburse pastor/employees and their spouses for reasonable medical expenses not covered by insurance (i.e. deductibles)?

I am asking this largely because of any effect of the ACA.  

Thank you very much.

ANSWER: See IRS Publication 517 "Social Security and Other Information for
the Members of the Clergy and Other Religious Workers" at:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p517.pdf and you will see that it is marked under the title on page 1, "For use in preparing 2013 Returns".  Usually, by February 1st the IRS will post the next year's guide.

But you can read, starting on page 9 under "Income tax: Income and Expenses" and you will see nothing special related to church employees as to medical in relation to employees of other organizations. I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions about IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. Your question is related to normal employment tax law questions for individuals, and, therefore, that is beyond the scope of this free forum.  The church certainly may pay for such, but then the question is whether it is taxable.  If it is taxable then it is part of the compensation given to the employee.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

QUESTION: Thank you Mr. Mechanic,

What about if the church has a HRA/IRC 105 plan written up that specifies insurance and medical expenses are to be covered?  I thought this was permissible.

Again, thank you very much!!

ANSWER: The IRS Publication 15-B discusses taxable and non-taxable fringe benefits for all employees (not just church employees) and is available at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p15b.pdf and specifically on the right side of page 6 is a discussion of "Accident and Health Benefits" (exclusions from income).  There you see listed are

"Contributions to the cost of accident or health insurance including qualified long-term care insurance."

"Payments or reimbursements of medical expenses."

" that provides benefits for your employees, their spouses, their dependents, and their children (under age 27) in the event of personal injury or sickness. The plan may be insured or noninsured and does not need to be in writing."

You are welcome.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

QUESTION: Hi Mr. Mechanic,

In my original question, I asked about reimbursements being affected by the ACA.  I am thankful for your clarification to my follow-up question, but I am still wondering about the ACA.  You refered me to pub 15-B which helps, but I have read about "IRS Notice 2013-54 [that] communicated reimbursements [for health care coverage] could no longer be made on a tax-free basis beginning January 1, 2014 due to ACA market reforms." (ECFA.ORG).

So, I'm still wondering if the payments and reimbursements made to pastors for 2014 are taxable, and if they are taxable in 2015.

Thank you very much.

Answer
I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions about IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. The question you ask is not about exemptions but about employer tax responsibilities.  Nonetheless, I have given you some links.  Here is another
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-13-54.pdf which is that IRS notice 2013-54 that you referred to. You may find, though, that the IRS notice applies only to businesses that are subject to mandates on insurance.  Note that there have been some delays ordered by President Obama. http://goo.gl/BORDR4

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic