Nonprofit Law/booster club 501 c3 bank account

Question
QUESTION: can we purchase airline tickets for group rates for athletes and parent using our checking account

ANSWER: I do not know if you are asking about whether the organization can purchase tickets that parents have already paid the organization for.  The answer is "yes", if that would be beneficial to the athletes or the 501(c)(3) organization in that they are getting a group rate.

If you are asking instead about parents reimbursing the organization for tickets or something else, please clarify and then I will reply further.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

QUESTION: We want to buy airline tickets at a group rate. We are depositing the money in our booster club account then paying the airline. I was just concerned about purchasing the parents tickets this way. And not every body in the booster club is participating in the purchase of the airline tickets. The athletes  are competing in an event in June in Las Vegas. We are raising money for this event.

ANSWER: That is fine, just account for the ticket items as pass-throughs.  See the Google Book Version of "Not-For-Profit Accounting Made Easy"  By Warren Ruppel which is available at  http://tinyurl.com/4rlv3v3

Starting at the bottom of that page 81 for a few pages you can read the recommended treatment of pass-throughs. Mr. Ruppel advises to follow the recommendations of The Financial Accounting Standards
Board, Statement 136, entitled "Transfers of Assets to a Not-for-Profit Organization or Charitable Trust that Raises or Holds Contributions for Others".  A good description is also available
at www.nysscpa.org/cpajournal/2000/0100/f46100a.html

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

QUESTION: Can a coach be an officer of the 501 c3 booster club?  ie{ president,treasurer, or secretary

Answer
A coach may be an officer of a 501(c)(3) booster organization but she must not exercise control as to elements of personal financial interest. See http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/eotopica93.pdf
starting on pages 11 "Private Facility Owners" which discusses prohibited private benefit and excessive control of the booster organization by interested persons.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic