You are here:

Nonprofit Law/Would like to change current IRS 501 status


I'm a current an Executive Board member of a 501c7 sportsman club.  The c7 has hindered us in trying to improve our club.  We've discussed at our board meetings in possibly dropping the c7 and applying for a c3.  We understand that amending our constitution & bylaws would have to be done in order to do this.  Our frustration comes in the cost of doing this.  However, it's my belief that by changing to the c3, would assist us in doing what is necessary to stay in business.  Is there anything you could tell us that would help in laying the ground works in making the change?

The state would charge less than $80 filing fee for the amendment to the articles of incorporation and the  Ihe IRS minimum filing fee for such a 501(c)(3) determination letter is $400 and goes up to $850 if the organization has gross income averaging more than $10,000 per year

I strongly suggest that you consult with me as to the qualifications for being educational so that you are convinced that the organization would, in fact, be approved by the IRS as a 501(c)(3) organization. If you want to hire me for a one hour consultation, which would be sufficient, send me an email directly to my email address below and I will quote you my fees.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Nonprofit Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Harvey Mechanic


DO NOT GIVE ME INFORMATION THAT YOU WANT KEPT CONFIDENTIAL. I am an attorney and I volunteer time to answer general questions about U.S. Federal income tax issues of nonprofit 501(c)(3) public charities only. Those questions could be about establishing and maintaining legal requirements for such non-profit organizations in the United States, including Internal Revenue service filings and requirements. I will not be working on this free forum to answer questions about Nonprofit's possible unrelated or for-profit businesses or how to fill out forms. This forum is only for general questions about federal tax law, not as the law applies to your specific situation. If you do not make your question public then I will not be spending much of my donated time on answers that would not benefit the public. If you have other questions, please contact me at I will reply from my email. In any case, do not reveal confidential information to me until after I have contracted with you to provide personal legal services. My responses on this forum are intended to be general statements of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, and do not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather extensive information about the situation. To search my previous answers you can do a Google search by "" without the quotes and then add your search terms before hitting enter.


I have been practicing law and especially the law of nonprofit organizations since 1990 when I was admitted to the New York Bar and I have maintained my status with the Bar since that time.


B.S. Columbia University in New York City, 1970

J.D. (Law Degree) Brooklyn Law School, 1990 -- Cum Laude.

©2017 All rights reserved.