Nonprofit Law/Charity Deduction

Question
I am a member of a Ministry charity. This week the president passed away. Family members as well as preachers from all over are here to mourn his death. We are needing to feed them while they are here. Is it ok to use money from the ministry 501c3 to do this as long as we keep it under $500?

Thank you,
Sherry

Answer
Internal Revenue Code section 501(c)(3) which is available at http://goo.gl/7lFll (on page 2, first column) provides, in part, that the 501(c)(3) organization must be "operated exclusively for religious, charitable ...or educational purposes ... no part of the net earnings of which inures to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual". A 501(c)(3) ministry organization is only supposed to use funds for charitable, public religious or educational activities.  Social events, even for funerals of leaders are not considered for a public religious use.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic