Nonprofit Law/Entry Fees for 501c3 event by outside entity.

Question
QUESTION: "We are holding a fundraiser for a 501c3 organization, but run by a group of people who do not work for with the 501c3.  

There is an entry fee of $50/person. I understand that these monies are not tax deductible. The entry fees cover the cost of the event.  Is the 501c3 organization required to report the entry fees as income?"

ANSWER: It appears that by "we", if you are not working without compensation, you are referring to an entity that is what the State of Virginia refers to as a "professional solicitor". http://goo.gl/jWzFgI

You are receiving $50 per person and, under a contract, you are then giving something to the 501(c)(3) organization.  Whatever they received is what they would report as income.  If you have facts that are different from what I assumed above, please give me the details of those facts. After you give me that information I will reply further.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

QUESTION: Harvey, thank you for the information.  Here is some clarity...

4 years ago a couple of us organized a fundraiser to benefit Two Top Mountain Adaptive Sports Foundation.  We do not work for them, we just believe in their work and want to see the program grow.  For the first 3 years of the event, I have personally managed the registration fees and all of the tax-deductible donations have been made via the Two Top website.  This year, Two Top has taken control of the event from us and now refer to the event as their event.  Two Top's donations exceeded $100K for the first time and, according to the organization, they can and expect to be audited by the IRS.  Two Top has also informed us that the registration monies have to be reported as income.  So, for tax purposes, would Two Top be required to report the registration monies as income; 2) If so, could we avoid having to do so if the registration monies were directed to an external account thay would be seperate from the Two Top organization?

Answer
Well, it appears from what you wrote that you are concerned with the registration fees that have already been paid and maybe in previous years.  I would need to see the actual path of those fees and whether they were, at least for some time, held in an account of a non-exempt entity.  If you are asking about previous years when the two people (including you) organized an event for Two Top, let me know whether you received any compensation for that work that you did, along with whether any of the fees went into a non-exempt account. After you give me that information I will reply further.

You are welcome.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic