Nonprofit Law/501(c)(3) - Deduction of Unreimbursed Expenses

Question
I had a quick question about our organization.  My partner and I just started a non-profit and we are recognized by the IRS as a 501(c)(3) public charity.  We are needing to set up meetings with some future board members and funders.  I will need to purchase a flight to get to these meetings with my partner and them, however, our organization has no money right now, so I would have to pay for it myself.  My question is, can I donate money to the organization and the organization buy my flight as a business related expense?  And can I claim that donation on my person tax return?

Thanks!

Jeffery

Answer
I am assuming that you are a volunteer and are not seeking deferred compensation from the organization for your services to the organization.  The proper procedure would be that you obtain from your Board a resolution as to the travel expenses being valid expenses of the organization.  Then you would pay for those travel expenses and deduct the amount you spent as an unreimbursed expense.

See IRS Publication 526 "Charitable Donations" which is available at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p526.pdf starting in the first column of page 5 under the heading "Out-of-Pocket Expenses in Giving Services" we see that you could deduct the unreimbursed expenses that you paid for the use of the charitable organization when the expenses you had only because of the services you gave.  The details are found on page 19 of the record-keeping requirements in the middle column under the heading "Out-
of-Pocket Expenses" where you see you would need the organization's written acknowledgment to deduct.  Details of the acknowledgement are also found on pdf page 11 at:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1771.pdf

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic