Nonprofit Law/non-profit board to vote on disbursement

Question
Sir,

I am on a board of a small relatively new non profit that promotes and works toward preserving local heritage in a small, 14,000 residents, county.    My question regards the activities of our board and voting on projects and how to disburse the monies we have received from either gifts, grants, donations and membership fees ($5.00)  Our president has actively pursued funding for projects that the president wanted without votes from our board.  The funds were given toward her specific interest; i.e., restoring a 1837 jail and old smoke house in pioneer village managed by the historical society; marker for music venue.  Is there a law in Indiana or a Federal Law stating that Roberts Rules of Order be followed or that there must be a majority vote before actions for a non-profit?

Answer
See http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/incode/23/17 which is the Indiana Nonprofit Code as revised, 2014 and we see at 23-17-12-1 that the Board of Directors has the authority over all aspects of the nonprofit corporation.  Therefore, unless there is something in the articles of incorporation or bylaws that state otherwise, the board may at any time order the president or any other officer to not spend funds or to spend funds in a particular manner. That is standard throughout the United States.

23-17-14-2 provides, further:
--- Start of excerpt ---
An officer shall perform the duties set forth in bylaws or, to the extent consistent with bylaws, the duties prescribed:
(1) in a resolution of the board of directors; or
(2) by direction of an officer authorized by the board of directors to prescribe the duties of other officers.
--- End of excerpt ---

Unless the Articles of Incorporation or Bylaws specify the use of Robert's Rules of Order, the organization is not bound to follow those rules of order.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic