Nonprofit Law/501(c)(3) Members

Question
Can a state "non-profit" entity that is NOT tax-exempt under federal law be the sole member of a 501(c)(3) wholly owned subsidiary corporation?

Answer
Individuals are not tax-exempt either and the IRS, therefore, would treat the situation the same when there is a sole member who is an individual and a sole member that is a nonprofit corporation or nonprofit unincorporated association (what you referred to as a state "non-profit). By "subsidiary" it appears that you are referring to a subsidiary of another organization, one that has already qualified as a 501(c)(3) organization.  A 501(c)(3) organization may set up a subsidiary, and that subsidiary may have only one member, and that member can be an individual or a non-exempt entity, but that does not mean that the IRS would be treating the subsidiary automatically as exempt.  It will decide using the same reasoning it uses when determining whether any new organization is to be accorded 501(c)(3) organization status.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information. is the sole member of a  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic