Nonprofit Law/Gifts to volunteers from a 501(c)(3)

Question
Hello. We are considering a small thank you gift for a couple of particularly hard working volunteers. It is not expected by them, is not intended to be considered compensation, and would be a one time thing.  Is this acceptable under IRS regulations? If so, is there a dollar value limit we need to consider? Do we need to report it in any particular way?

Thank YOU for volunteering YOUR time here!

Answer
The IRS explains at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p5137.pdf on page 87. "A volunteer is an employee under common law if an entity has the right to direct and control the volunteer's performance, not only as to the results to be accomplished, but also as to the methods by which the results are accomplished."

The Internal Revenue Code at section 102(a) provides that gifts are not income.  "Gross income does not include the value of property acquired by gift..."
http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/26/A/1/B/III/102

However, section 102(c) of the Code has "Subsection (a) shall not exclude from gross income any amount transferred by or for an employer to, or for the benefit of, an employee...."

Therefore, any gifts to volunteers by employers are treated like taxable compensation.  There is no dollar value limit, but, if the volunteers are not officers or directors, I have not ever seen any enforcement by the IRS for any one-time small gift.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic