Nonprofit Law/church and brewery

Question
Greetings,

Thank you for providing this service!

Our church wants to start a small craft brewery with a tasting room as a for profit "c" corp subsidiary.  How are we able to protect the church legally?  Is there a certain type of document we need which outlines the relationship?

Thank you in advance for you assistance!

Answer
A parent holds all of the shares of stock of a "C" corporation subsidiary. The relationship protects the church, when all of the normal corporate formalities are followed by each organization. Arms-length transactions would be followed also, for example if the "C" corporation rents space in the church.

Whether the church has a subsidiary "C" corporation or not, I generally suggest, for protecting the church real estate, that we have the real estate spun off into a charitable trust that is separate from the church operation organization.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic