Nonprofit Law/501c3 Conversion from PF to PC

Question
We have an established 501c3 private foundation in the state of Florida.  At it's initial incorporation the president was in the NFL and through himself and various contacts he was making contributions to the foundation which we then converted to grants to fund direct service providers within the community.  Since his retirement we have lost a significant portion of the funding we once had.  Still we have some funding but we struggle to find organizations in the area that provide programing that falls in line with the mission statement we have established. As a result the board of directors met and decided to provide direct contact services within the community.  This raises two questions for me, 1.) Is a private foundation able to provide direct services or must it simply provide funding for direct service providers, 2.) Is it possible to convert a private foundation to a public charity without reapplying for a 501c3?

Thank you

Answer
1.  A private foundation may provide direct services and then it may be classified by the IRS as a private operating foundation. See IRS Publication 557 "Tax Exempt Status for Your Organization"
which is available at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p557.pdf in the middle column of page 45:
--- Start of Excerpt ---
Some private foundations qualify as private operating foundations. These are types of private foundations that, although lacking general public support, make qualifying distributions directly for the active conduct of their educational, charitable, and religious purposes, as distinct from merely making grants to other organizations for these purposes.
--- End of Excerpt ---

2.  It is possible to convert a private foundation into a public charity without reapplying with the IRS Application for Exemption.  However, as stated in the first column of page 46:
--- Start of excerpt ---
If you are an existing organization seeking reclassification as a private operating foundation or as an  exempt operating foundation, you must file Form 8940, Request for Miscellaneous Determination
--- End of excerpt ---
That form is available at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-access/f8940_accessible.pdf with the instructions at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8940.pdf

The user fee is shown at http://goo.gl/pV7XLM as "Reclassification of foundation status, including a voluntary request from a public charity for private foundation status...$400"

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic