Nonprofit Law/corporate giving program

Question
I am in the process of setting up an LLC which will sell products.  I would like to have a portion of the sales price be donated to a specific charity (a 501c3 entity)in my community.  I would like to advertise that a portion of every sale will go to that nonprofit and I am unsure how to handle the process without causing difficulties with taxing authorities.  It seems like the best way would be to simply make the donation myself and take the deduction myself, but I was wondering if there is a simple way for the buyer to get the deduction without my having to include the charitable portion being included in my sales / tax figures.

Answer
In the situation you propose, your LLC is promoting the sales and handling the proceeds and not giving the purchasers an option to donate.

A charitable contribution must be made voluntarily and with donative intent. U.S. v. American Bar Endowment, 477 U.S. 105 (1986). In American Bar Endowment, a membership organization maintained a group insurance program for its members.  Every year, a portion of the insurance premiums paid by members were refunded the organization. As a condition of participating in the insurance program, members were
required to assign refunds from their premiums to the organization. The organization used these refunds to fund charitable grants. Members participating in the group insurance program claimed charitable deductions under § 170 for their pro rata shares of the refund amounts that funded charitable activities. The Supreme Court disallowed these deductions, concluding that they were not voluntary. The Court suggested that it would have reached a different result if the organization “were ABE to give each
member a choice between retaining his pro-rata share of dividends or assigning them” to charity. 477 U.S. at 113.

Therefore, your LLC, and not the purchasers of your items, would be able to take the charitable deductions.

I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions about IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. Your matter is also controlled by state law and states may differ somewhat with how they would treat such issues. Even though this forum is not for such state law issues, I will advise you that most states require a business like yours to obtain the written permission from the charity before it undertakes such a promotion and, in addition, the state sometimes requires the business to register with the state as holding charitable assets.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic