Nonprofit Law/Incorporated Family Organization

Question
A family organization is incorporated. It holds several fundraisers & collects dues/donations each year for the primary purpose of awarding scholarships to FAMILY Member college bound students. 50% of profits are set aside for this purpose. What do you suggest they do to qualify as a 501(c)(3), e.g. award scholarships to the general public? Thank you

Answer
If you want donors to be able to deduct donations and not to have your sales income, if any, taxed as long as you comply with fundraising guidelines for 501(c)(3) organizations, you would need to establish a charitable trust, incorporate under a state's nonprofit corporation law, or set up an unincorporated nonprofit association. Your organizing document would need to state that it is organizing under Internal Revenue Code Section 501(c)(3) and have other required clauses. You would have at least 3 directors, with control of the board not in persons related by blood, marriage or other business.

After the initial set up, you would need to apply for a EIN (tax id number) http://snipurl.com/gij28
and then you could apply for the IRS exemption determination letter which could be effective retroactively to the date of establishment of the organization. The IRS minimum filing fee for such a determination letter is $400 and goes up to $850. http://goo.gl/TXwq9

Specifically, as to scholarships, they must complete Schedule H of the IRS Exemption Application which is shown at the bottom of page 25 of Publication 557 at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p557.pdf
and you can see there the issues that the IRS is concerned with.  Primarily, the organization would need to not give any preference to family members (or business associates) and open up the publicity for the applications for the awards to the general public.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic