Nonprofit Law/Preventing revocation of 501(c)(3) Exemption

Question
Dear Mr. Mechanic:

I serve on a non-profit Interim board.  When all board members were recently removed after years of mismanagement , as we now review the records and begin auditing the finances, we have uncovered troubling issues.  Some of the problems,, namely the use of donated assets for private benefit (not a significant amount, but troubling just the same), intentional failure to disclose on the 990 form of payments for services to a board member, and abysmal record keeping, appear to be so serious we fear they could cause a revocation of our exemption.  At a minimum, we appear to be facing significant fines.  We want to fix the problems but once we file our amended tax returns, we are concerned that the IRS may summarily revolk our exemption.  What do you recommend as the best way forward?

Answer
Sometimes, when a new board and management comes in, I advise them to act correctly in the future and not deal proactively with past issues, but sometimes I would advise otherwise. I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions about IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. If I am to give you a good answer I would need to analyze the details of the past issues and that would be beyond my offer of free services and I would need to spend a substantial amount of time on that.  If you want to hire me for a written opinion, send me an email directly to my email address below and I will quote you my fees.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic