You are here:

Nonprofit Law/Business or Volunteer


I am helping a friend prepare her income taxes. Her husband is a coach and director for a non-profit football organization. He has some travel expenses and a 1099-K for some electronic payments from parents which has his name and the organizations name on it. He wants to consider what he does a business. Can he do that or is it considered volunteering?

Thank you

A Forbes article describes Form 1099-K. and, as any other tax information return, the form would indicate the payee by a social security number or EIN (Employer Identification Number - or Taxpayer Id number).  Therefore, it is not so important that "has his name and the organizations name on it".  Whose Social Security number or EIN is on that as the payee? After you give me that information I will reply further. But, from what you wrote to me, the payments appear to be from parents who were paying fees for their children and those receipts, therefore, would be taxable to the coach as ordinary business income (he would be able then to deduct the applicable expenses, like travel expenses).

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Nonprofit Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Harvey Mechanic


DO NOT GIVE ME INFORMATION THAT YOU WANT KEPT CONFIDENTIAL. I am an attorney and I volunteer time to answer general questions about U.S. Federal income tax issues of nonprofit 501(c)(3) public charities only. Those questions could be about establishing and maintaining legal requirements for such non-profit organizations in the United States, including Internal Revenue service filings and requirements. I will not be working on this free forum to answer questions about Nonprofit's possible unrelated or for-profit businesses or how to fill out forms. This forum is only for general questions about federal tax law, not as the law applies to your specific situation. If you do not make your question public then I will not be spending much of my donated time on answers that would not benefit the public. If you have other questions, please contact me at I will reply from my email. In any case, do not reveal confidential information to me until after I have contracted with you to provide personal legal services. My responses on this forum are intended to be general statements of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, and do not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather extensive information about the situation. To search my previous answers you can do a Google search by "" without the quotes and then add your search terms before hitting enter.


I have been practicing law and especially the law of nonprofit organizations since 1990 when I was admitted to the New York Bar and I have maintained my status with the Bar since that time.


B.S. Columbia University in New York City, 1970

J.D. (Law Degree) Brooklyn Law School, 1990 -- Cum Laude.

©2017 All rights reserved.