Nonprofit Law/Non Profit donations to other nonprofits

Question
QUESTION: Can one 501 (c)3 organization donate to another 501 (c) 3 organization who supports the same general mission?  For example: NP1 supporting veterans in need wants to give a donation to NP2 with a different primary mission but includes veterans in need as a special focus which NP1 doesn't normally support because they weren't aware of the special need.

ANSWER: As long as the recipient 501(c)(3) organization is not a private foundation, the answser is yes.

Actually, the IRS gives preferential status to grants from one public charity to another in their "public support" test. See http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p557. pdf starting in the middle column on page 35  "Grants from public charities".  The IRS writes, "Contributions received from a governmental unit or from a publicly supported organization (including a church that meets the requirements for being publicly supported) are not subject to the 2% limit unless the contributions represent amounts either expressly or impliedly earmarked by a donor to the governmental unit or publicly supported organization as being for, or for the benefit of, the particular organization claiming a publicly supported status."

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

QUESTION: does the information in column 1 and 2 contributions to ... also pertain to this issue?

Answer
The middle column, that I referred you to is column two and down that column is that part "Grants from  public charities."  That is the only section relevant to your question.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic