Nonprofit Law/Tax Exemptions on Phone Service

Question
Is a 501c3 exempt from phone bill government fees and taxes?

Answer
Only if it is a certain type of nonprofit organization. Federal excise taxes and common exemptions are discussed at: http://www.acquisition.gov/far/html/Subpart%2029_2.html

"Certain tax-free sales" is at 26 U.S.C. 4221 which has:
---End of Excerpt---
(5) Nonprofit educational organization
The term "nonprofit educational organization" means an
educational organization described in section 170(b)(1)(A)(ii)
which is exempt from income tax under section 501(a). The term
also includes a school operated as an activity of an organization
described in section 501(c)(3) which is exempt from income tax
under section 501(a), if such school normally maintains a regular
faculty and curriculum and normally has a regularly enrolled body
of pupils or students in attendance at the place where its
educational activities are regularly carried on.
---End of Excerpt---
http://pages.citebite.com/d8m8d0v0wcyi

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic