Nonprofit Law/501(c)(3) booster club exemption

Question
We recently formed a sports booster club, but we have one parent of an athlete that wants absolutely nothing to do with our group.  We have said that we are not forcing any parent to do any fundraising and that their child, as a member of the team, would still receive the same benefits as every other child of the team.  Regardless, they do not wish to "become a member" and do not want any of the booster funds to be attributed toward their child.  Is there an "opt-out" form that I should have them fill out to cover us both saying that they are not a member and that they are agreeing that their child will not receive any of the booster club's funds?  This parent has shown great resistance to the formation of the club in the first place, and we want to make sure that we are covered in case the parent decides in the future to come back and say that their child was left out, etc. because the parent chose not to participate.  Under the new rules, we know that all children must benefit as a team, as opposed to any individual child; but if the parent doesn't want the money?  Hard to believe someone wouldn't want the funds, but that's also the reason why I'm having such a difficult time finding an answer to my question.

Answer
Those are not new rules but, in any case, a family may certainly opt-out.  There is no form but a sentence is sufficient, such as "I, parent of John Doe, do not want ABC Booster Organization to fund my child or grant any benefits to my child."  Have the parent sign and then date it.

It appears you may have read it, but my summary of IRS regulations relating to 501(c)(3) booster organizations is at http://goo.gl/IdQwML and you may be interested to read that.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic