Nonprofit Law/Booster club Revenue question

Question
We have just formed a gymnastics booster club and am awaiting 501(c)(3) status.  The gym through which our kids participate have always paid for competition meet fees directly with the gym owners telling us how much a particular meet will cost.  If you choose to participate, you pay the funds to the gym directly and they register your child for you.  Our hope was to raise revenue through fundraising to defray those costs, pay out what the board deems appropriate toward a particular competition, and then have the parents "make up the difference," paying that amount to the gym directly, as they have in the past.  I.E., instead of this meet costing you $50, due to funds paid by the booster club, the meet cost to you is now only $25.  Are we allowed to do that or do the parents now have to pay us the full amount that we collect as dues and we pay the gym for the "total" meet fee?

Answer
The booster organization may pay half of the meet fees.  My summary of IRS regulations relating to 501(c)(3) booster organizations is at http://goo.gl/IdQwML and you may be interested to read that.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic