Nonprofit Law/Grants

Question
QUESTION: I would like to thank you in advance for taking the time to answer my questions.
We are a newer booster club working through some growing pains.  We have had a really rough start and are trying really hard to get things right but are finding it hard to get answers on the correct way to handle funds. Our original goal was just to be an optional organization for the parents of gymnasts who wanted to fundraise to be able to fundraise to cover the costs of Meet/Coaches fees. We were then told that every child on the team has to be able to "equally" benefit from the booster club whether their parents wanted to join or not. The Gym then made the Boosters responsible for managing all Meet/Coaches Fees.  Since we are so new, we have not been able to cover a whole season yet, which means parents have had to pay the difference between what was fundraised and what was still owed.  We are trying to get everything legal but are stuck on the difference between what's owed and what's raised. And on whether everyone has to join. Are parents able to "opt out" and just give their money as a pass through? The money that is raised, does it have to be given to "equally" to every girl on the team? Or can it be divided based on financial need and cost of the season?  Thank you

ANSWER: My summary of IRS regulations relating to 501(c)(3) booster organizations is at http://goo.gl/IdQwML and you may be interested to read that.

The booster organization may cover part of the meet/coaches fees and the team members would have to cover the rest. No person is required to joint a 501(c)(3) booster organization but still the 501(c)(3) organization must not discriminate in grants against such families.  Parents may opt-out of being in the group.  The grant money may be based on financial need and the cost of the season.

You are welcome.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

QUESTION: As a follow up,  if our team has 100  girls,  and 20  parents choose not to join, just write a check for their portion of the fees and never ask for  any of the fundraising money for grants,  can that be considered discriminating since their parents never joined or helped?  I  think I understand that,  even if they don't join,  but apply  for grants,  they have to be considered just like everyone else.   Again,  thank you for your time.

Answer
Right. Even if the 20 parents choose not to join, the organization should give their family the same benefits (grants) as others. They are considered like every other family even if they don't join.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic