Nonprofit Law/Tax Liability for a charitable fund

Question
Dear Harvey,

Thank you for fielding this question.

In 2014 I organized and ran a charitable golf tournament that raised $5000 for pancreatic cancer research.  In an effort to do everything legally, I requested and was granted an EIN, and I opened up a separate interest-free checking account to receive entry fees, donations, etc.  

I didn't think much of it because outside of a very small amount of carryover, the money that is raised at the end of the tournament is donated to a specific non-profit organization.  I don't make a nickel off of it, but I just realized with this newly acquired EIN, I may have reporting obligations with the federal government.

Any advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Answer
From what you wrote, it appears that the fund that you set up did not have any organizational document like articles of incorporation or charitable trust declaration that would be required to make it qualified to be treated by the IRS as a 501(c)(3) organization or other tax-exempt organization. See http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p557.pdf starting on the bottom of page 24 under the heading "Organizational test". You must have the required clauses in the organizational document. Samples start on
page 71.

Therefore, the operation would be treated at least as to its activities in 2014, as a regular for-profit operation.  Unless there is documentation to establish another type of entity, it would be treated as your sole business (sole proprietorship) and you would report the activity on your individual tax return.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic