Nonprofit Law/tax liability on dividends for non-profits

Question
I run a small business non-profit association that has a 501c6 determination letter. We started a scholarship program and have built a $100,000 designated reserve fund that we have purchased CD's in the past for the interest earnings to help grow the fund and provide for more money to give away to eligible applicants. Interest rates are insignificant to the growth goals and we are looking to expand the investment range to include dividend paying stocks or ETF's. Any of the captured income from the investment would go to the scholarship program and be distributed at the direction of the board. In this scenario, is there a tax liability incurred on the dividend or profit from the sale of appreciated value in the underlying investment asset?

Answer
Section 512 of the Internal Revenue Code provides for exempt organizations, "(5) There shall be excluded [from federal unrelated business taxes] all gains or losses from the sale, exchange, or other disposition of property [exceptions then listed which do not apply to your case]"
http://goo.gl/N3DuRP You can see at the top of that page that section 512 is within Part
III which is entitled, " Taxation Of Business Income Of Certain Exempt Organizations".

Therefore, your organization would not have any federal income tax exposure from the sale of appreciated value in investment assets?

Also note that dividends are not taxable either. IRS Publication 598 "Tax on Unrelated Business Income of Exempt Organizations" at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p598.pdf explains that,  if products or services are not directly related to the charitable, educational, religious or other purpose or function
constituting the basis for its exemption (other than for production of income), then the activities are generally taxable. But on page 9 in the middle column we see:
--- Start of excerpt ---
All dividends, interest, annuities,  payments  with  respect  to  securities
loans, income from notional principal contracts,
and  other  income  from  an  exempt  organization's ordinary and routine investments that the
IRS  determines  are  substantially  similar  to
these types of income are excluded in computing unrelated business taxable income
--- End of excerpt ---

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic