Nonprofit Law/transfer of 501c3 designaion

Question
Can a nonprofit transfer its 501c3 exemption to another nonprofit that does not have such an exemption.  Boards of both nonprofits are in agreement and the organization without the exemption would qualify as 501c3. Should Transferring nonprofit (with 501c3 exemption) cease to exist by dissolution or merging with other nonprofit. If merger occurs and name of resulting organization is the name of the nonprofit without the 501c3, can the 501c3 exemption be utilized by the resulting merged nonprofits? Thank you for your consideration of this issue.

Answer
Exemption is granted by the IRS to a particular entity which has a particular EIN (Employer Identification Number - or Taxpayer Id number).  Exemption may not be transferred to another entity.  However, the board of directors of the exempt organization may, under certain circumstances, elect the board appointed by the other nonprofit. Merger is another option, but certainly the exempt organization could not dissolve as it needs to remain as it has the exemption. In any case, what you want to do requires some agreements and paperwork.   If you want to hire me for that, send me an email directly to my email address below and I will quote you my fees.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic