Nonprofit Law/Volunteer reimbursement

Question
QUESTION: A reimbursement for grooming was submitted according to the "rules" of a non-profit and they have been refusing to pay me without signing one of their "new" volunteer contracts, which I do not agree with and I believe is illegal in their wording. What actions can I take to get my reimbursement?

ANSWER: I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions about IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. You question is about reimbursements supposedly mandated by the internal rules of an organization.  That matter is controlled by state law and states may differ somewhat with how they would treat such issues. Even though this forum is not for such state law issues, I will inform you that you may have an action in small claims court if you reasonably relied upon some volunteer or membership agreement that referred to the "rules" of the nonprofit regarding reimbursements. If you inform me whether you are a member and whether those "rules" are in the form of a bylaw or board resolution I may be able to reply further.  

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

QUESTION: Yes a volunteer and not by any bylaw or board resolution. I have a letter signed by the previous President that stated "no restrictions can be placed on myself or the dog in regards to reimbursement and the monies need to come out of the Special Needs account" Which has plenty of money in there.

Answer
Good for you.  As long as the request for reimbursements are directly related to the grooming, the reimbursements are required to be paid to you. That letter from the past president may or may not be a correct interpretation of the organization's real "rules", but, in any case, that letter binds the organization.  Officers act as a corporation's agents and can bind the corporation to contracts and agreements. http://pages.citebite.com/w1k1t4a3g2jhu (which is from the West's Encyclopedia of American Law as to Corporations). That is called "Apparent Authority". http://goo.gl/Qd7CHg

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic