Nonprofit Law/change in fiscal year

Question
our 501(c)(3)fiscal year has just changed resulting in this year (2015-2016) running from April 1, 2015 through May 31, 2016. That would be 13 months long, and the subsequent year (2016-2017) will start on June 1, 2016 through May 31, 2017. i'm not sure if i need to file a 990 to advise of fiscal year change in general even if it isn't resulting in a shorter year but a longer year for 2015-2016. or is there another form? Please advise.

Answer
The IRS does not allow a reporting year to be longer than 12 months. A change, though may result in a period shorter than 12 months and then, after that, a 12 month period. Note on pdf page 5, right column, of the IRS instructions to Form 990 which is available at:
www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i990.pdf
--- Start of Excerpt ---
A short accounting period is a period of less than 12 months, which exists when an organization first commences operations, changes its accounting period, or terminates... If the organization changes its
accounting period, it must file a Form 990 for the short period resulting from the change. Write "Change of Accounting Period" at the top of this short-period return. If the organization previously changed its accounting period within the 10-calendar-year period that includes the beginning of the short period, and it had a Form 990 filing requirement at any time during that 10-year period, it must also attach a Form 1128 to the short-period return. See Rev. Proc. 85-58, 1985-2
C.B. 740.
---End of Excerpt---

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic