You are here:

Nonprofit Law/change in fiscal year


our 501(c)(3)fiscal year has just changed resulting in this year (2015-2016) running from April 1, 2015 through May 31, 2016. That would be 13 months long, and the subsequent year (2016-2017) will start on June 1, 2016 through May 31, 2017. i'm not sure if i need to file a 990 to advise of fiscal year change in general even if it isn't resulting in a shorter year but a longer year for 2015-2016. or is there another form? Please advise.

The IRS does not allow a reporting year to be longer than 12 months. A change, though may result in a period shorter than 12 months and then, after that, a 12 month period. Note on pdf page 5, right column, of the IRS instructions to Form 990 which is available at:
--- Start of Excerpt ---
A short accounting period is a period of less than 12 months, which exists when an organization first commences operations, changes its accounting period, or terminates... If the organization changes its
accounting period, it must file a Form 990 for the short period resulting from the change. Write "Change of Accounting Period" at the top of this short-period return. If the organization previously changed its accounting period within the 10-calendar-year period that includes the beginning of the short period, and it had a Form 990 filing requirement at any time during that 10-year period, it must also attach a Form 1128 to the short-period return. See Rev. Proc. 85-58, 1985-2
C.B. 740.
---End of Excerpt---

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Nonprofit Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Harvey Mechanic


DO NOT GIVE ME INFORMATION THAT YOU WANT KEPT CONFIDENTIAL. I am an attorney and I volunteer time to answer general questions about U.S. Federal income tax issues of nonprofit 501(c)(3) public charities only. Those questions could be about establishing and maintaining legal requirements for such non-profit organizations in the United States, including Internal Revenue service filings and requirements. I will not be working on this free forum to answer questions about Nonprofit's possible unrelated or for-profit businesses or how to fill out forms. This forum is only for general questions about federal tax law, not as the law applies to your specific situation. If you do not make your question public then I will not be spending much of my donated time on answers that would not benefit the public. If you have other questions, please contact me at I will reply from my email. In any case, do not reveal confidential information to me until after I have contracted with you to provide personal legal services. My responses on this forum are intended to be general statements of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, and do not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather extensive information about the situation. To search my previous answers you can do a Google search by "" without the quotes and then add your search terms before hitting enter.


I have been practicing law and especially the law of nonprofit organizations since 1990 when I was admitted to the New York Bar and I have maintained my status with the Bar since that time.


B.S. Columbia University in New York City, 1970

J.D. (Law Degree) Brooklyn Law School, 1990 -- Cum Laude.

©2017 All rights reserved.