Nonprofit Law/Charity named as beneficiary of IRA

Question
Our 501c3 organization was named along with two other nonprofits as a beneficiary of an individual's IRA.  We are being told that the organization has to set up an IRA in order to receive the proceeds.  Is this true and will the organization be able to withdraw at any time without penalty?

Answer
I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions about IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. Your matter is not an exemption issue but an issue as to donations and IRA regulations.  Even though this free forum is not for such issues, I would like to give you some information.

The organization does not need to set up an IRA account to be the beneficiary, but each bank and financial services firm has different forms that the individual would have to complete.  For good general information see http://www.wsrp.com/leaving-ira-money-charity-tax-smart-strategy

Generally, at any time before death, the individual could change the beneficiaries without the permission of the current beneficiaries (the three 501(c)(3) organizations).  Until death, the beneficiaries can not withdraw anything, and, after death they can withdraw whatever they want.

Because the general rule is that an individual could change the beneficiaries anytime before death, I usually would recommend to my charities in such a situation that we consider drafting an enforceable agreement that the individual would sign.  That is a separate agreement from the beneficiary designation from used by the bank or financial institution.  That separate agreement would protect the current beneficiaries (the three 501(c)(3) organizations).  Such work would be beyond the scope of this free forum.  If you want to hire me, send me an email directly to my email address below and I will quote you my fees.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic