Nonprofit Law/Isolated Fundraisers

Question
QUESTION: Hello Sir,

I have utilized your services in the past, and I am very grateful that you provide them.

We have a 501(c)3 at our gym, and a group has initiated a Jiffy Lube Live Fundraiser (JLL is a concert venue where you can volunteer and you organization receives funds), and they have excluded the majority of the gym. They are only making it available to gymnastics levels 6-10. No one else is allowed -

Is this legal?

ANSWER: I have read one 501(c)(3) organization's FAQ relating to those types of events and it appears that the concessioner is conspiring with the 501(c)(3) organizations and individual workers to evade federal employment taxes by treating employees as independent contractors. http://chantillychoral.org/documents/Jiffy-Lube-FAQs.pdf

The IRS explains at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p5137.pdf on page 87. "A volunteer is an employee under common law if an entity has the right to direct and control the volunteer's performance,
not only as to the results to be accomplished, but also as to the methods by which the results are accomplished."

Therefore, the operation is not legal. But, as to your particular question, a private company may discriminate in hiring for certain reasons but not for others.  For example, the federal civil rights law of 1964 provides:
--- Start of excerpt ---
(a) Employer practices
It shall be an unlawful employment practice for an employer—
(1) to fail or refuse to hire or to discharge any individual, or otherwise to discriminate against any individual with respect to his compensation, terms, conditions, or privileges of employment, because of such individual’s race, color, religion, sex, or national origin; or
(2) to limit, segregate, or classify his employees or applicants for employment in any way which would deprive or tend to deprive any individual of employment opportunities or otherwise adversely affect his status as an employee, because of such individual’s race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.
--- End of excerpt ---
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/2000e-2

Discrimination in employment based upon gymnastic levels is not prohibited by law.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

QUESTION: Interesting -

Even though it is fundraising for a 501(c)3 and not technically employment; and the activity provides benefit to some portion of the organization and not the whole?

The FAQ you provided is exactly how the gym manages the concerts. Would the funds earned technically be "income" and subject to tax?

Thank you for your time!
Scott

Answer
I don't know what you mean by "technically".  I try to avoid that term.  Either something is legal or not.  Here it is illegal.  I explained in an earlier email the IRS treatment of assignment of income. There is no exception if the assignment is to a 501(c)(3) organization.

You are welcome.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic