Nonprofit Law/Non-Profit Voting Rights

Question
This non-profit deals with ice hockey.  The state Board is made up of Directors that are elected by their local associations.  The Pres, VP, Sec. Tres are elected by the state board which includes the Directors.   Voting question is I am a Director elected by my local association that I will be representing 5000
members am I allowed to send a repsentative to represent me if I
cannot make the State Board meeting ?

Answer
I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions about IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. Your matter is controlled by state law and states may differ somewhat with how they would treat such issues. Even though this forum is not for such state law issues, if you give me the state of incorporation I may be able to give you some leads that you could not reply upon until you have a local attorney confirm.  You may also send me a copy of your articles of incorporation and bylaws as that often has something relevant as to your issue.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic