You are here:

Nonprofit Law/residential property use for starting a not for profit


Mr. Mechanic,
I own a large parcel of land in NY. I want to form a not for profit and offer a portion of the land for hosting fundraisers and allowing seasonal / recreational usage of the land to my guests free of charge. My primary residence is on this land. Do I have to subdivide and 'Give' the land to the not for profit?  Can I form a not for profit and run in on my land? It is my understanding the land and any improvements will become an 'asset' of the not for profit and I am worried I will loose ownership of my home and acreage.

Thanks for any input you can offer.

You will lose ownership only if you execute a deed in which the nonprofit is listed as the only owner or a partial owner, but, in any case, you would be able to use the land for hosting fundraisers and other purposes that would be for the nonprofit. If you decide to proceed I suggest that you contact me to draft certain documents, if you personally want any tax benefits from donating something to the nonprofit or if you use the assets of the nonprofit. I am a member of the New York bar. I have in my profile in my forum at that the free service that I offer is only for general questions. Drafting  issues are beyond that and I would need to spend a substantial amount of time.  If you want to hire me, send me an email directly to my email address below and I will quote you my fees.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Nonprofit Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Harvey Mechanic


DO NOT GIVE ME INFORMATION THAT YOU WANT KEPT CONFIDENTIAL. I am an attorney and I volunteer time to answer general questions about U.S. Federal income tax issues of nonprofit 501(c)(3) public charities only. Those questions could be about establishing and maintaining legal requirements for such non-profit organizations in the United States, including Internal Revenue service filings and requirements. I will not be working on this free forum to answer questions about Nonprofit's possible unrelated or for-profit businesses or how to fill out forms. This forum is only for general questions about federal tax law, not as the law applies to your specific situation. If you do not make your question public then I will not be spending much of my donated time on answers that would not benefit the public. If you have other questions, please contact me at I will reply from my email. In any case, do not reveal confidential information to me until after I have contracted with you to provide personal legal services. My responses on this forum are intended to be general statements of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, and do not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather extensive information about the situation. To search my previous answers you can do a Google search by "" without the quotes and then add your search terms before hitting enter.


I have been practicing law and especially the law of nonprofit organizations since 1990 when I was admitted to the New York Bar and I have maintained my status with the Bar since that time.


B.S. Columbia University in New York City, 1970

J.D. (Law Degree) Brooklyn Law School, 1990 -- Cum Laude.

©2017 All rights reserved.