Nonprofit Law/residential property use for starting a not for profit

Question
Mr. Mechanic,
I own a large parcel of land in NY. I want to form a not for profit and offer a portion of the land for hosting fundraisers and allowing seasonal / recreational usage of the land to my guests free of charge. My primary residence is on this land. Do I have to subdivide and 'Give' the land to the not for profit?  Can I form a not for profit and run in on my land? It is my understanding the land and any improvements will become an 'asset' of the not for profit and I am worried I will loose ownership of my home and acreage.

Thanks for any input you can offer.

Answer
You will lose ownership only if you execute a deed in which the nonprofit is listed as the only owner or a partial owner, but, in any case, you would be able to use the land for hosting fundraisers and other purposes that would be for the nonprofit. If you decide to proceed I suggest that you contact me to draft certain documents, if you personally want any tax benefits from donating something to the nonprofit or if you use the assets of the nonprofit. I am a member of the New York bar. I have in my profile in my forum at http://bit.ly/NonprofitLaw that the free service that I offer is only for general questions. Drafting  issues are beyond that and I would need to spend a substantial amount of time.  If you want to hire me, send me an email directly to my email address below and I will quote you my fees.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic