Nonprofit Law/Retention of voting records

Question
How long should a nonprofit retain its records of officer election? I belong to an Organization that immediately after electing new officers the ballots are destroyed.  Is this proper protocol?
Thanks

Answer
I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions about IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. Your matter is controlled by state law and states may differ somewhat with how they would treat such issues. Even though this forum is not for such state law issues,  I may be able to direct you to some information.  You wrote from Arizona and I would like you confirm that your organization is a Arizona Nonprofit Corporation and, if not, what type of entity it is.

But, I can inform you that I know of no State law that prohibits a nonprofit corporation from destroying ballots immediately after there was an election. It is not wise, however, to do so, unless there is something in the bylaws of the organization or a resolution that states that, to give some privacy or secrecy to the voting, then that would be the procedure followed.  It is not wise because then, if right after the ballots are destroyed there is mounted an election contest, the evidence is weakened to support the validity of the election.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic