Nonprofit Law/speaking at candidate rallies

Question
I'm on the Board of a 501c3 and the founder of one of our campaigns wants to speak at the re-election rally for a City Council Candidate.  Specifically, we have been working to get zoo elephants released to a sanctuary and this city council person was helpful in trying to get an ordinance passed. It is permission for a representative from our 501c3 speak about how helpful the city council person has been at a re-election rally?  She would not specifically ask people to cast their vote for her.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Answer
The founder of one of your campaigns has, as much as any other person in the United States, the right to speak and endorse any candidate for office.  However, the founder may not, in that speech indicate that she is representing, in the speech, the 501(c)(3) organization.

Under the Internal Revenue Code, all section 501(c)(3)organizations are absolutely prohibited from directly or indirectly participating in, or intervening in, any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for elective public office. Contributions to political campaign funds or public statements of position (verbal or written) made on behalf of the organization in favor of or in opposition to any candidate for public office clearly violate the prohibition against political
campaign activity. http://goo.gl/eObrFJ

Later in that that fact sheet we see:
--- Start of Excerpt ---
The political campaign intervention prohibition is not intended to restrict free expression on political matters by leaders of organizations speaking for themselves, as individuals. Nor are leaders prohibited from speaking about important issues of public policy. However, for their organizations to remain tax exempt under section 501(c)(3), leaders cannot make partisan comments in official organization publications or at official functions of the organization.
---End of Excerpt---

They then give examples.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic