Nonprofit Law/508 c1 a

Question
I'm just starting my own church and I was wondering how do you get 508 cla do you apply? If so where should I go?

Answer
See instructions to Application for Exemption www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1023.pdf
in the right column on the first page under "Form 1023 not necessary" discusses who does not need to file and among those is are churches.  Therefore as long as the church is properly established for IRS purposes as a church (for example the congregation is not just one family), then donations to the church
are deductible.  The church would also need to operate according to IRS requirements for 501(c)(3) organizations as specified throughout Publication 557 "Tax Exempt Status for Your
Organization" which is found at:
www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p557.pdf

The church  must have the required clauses in the organizational document  See, starting on page 23 of  Publication 557  under "Organizational Test". Samples start on page 69. Also you must operate as a 501(c)(3) organization (see that publication 557 for the general rules).

The IRS has elaborated on that section 508 in its regulations:
---Start of Excerpt--
Therefore, where churches are involved, although an organization must satisfy the requirements for exemption under IRC 501(c)(3), it need not either notify the Service that it claims exemption or be
the subject of a Service determination that it is exempt. Reg. 1.508-1(a)(4) clearly provides that a church that does not apply for exemption by filing Form 1023 nevertheless may be exempt under
IRC 501(c)(3) if it meets the requirements of that section. Consequently, a church (or other organization described in IRC 508(c) that has been revoked), may claim to be exempt for future
years without going through the process of applying for recognition of exemption under IRC 501(c)(3), nor does it need a Service determination that it is exempt under that subsection. As stated on page 5 of IRS publication 1828 "Churches that meet the requirements of IRC section 501(c)(3) are automatically considered tax exempt."
---End of Excerpt--
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/eotopicm88.pdf on page 4

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic