Nonprofit Law/Church Parking Lot Depreciation

Question
Hi Mr. Mechanic,

Our church recently completed a tear-out and reconstruction of our asphalt parking lot to the order of approximately $200,000.

Can you please advise as to what "useful life" I should use for depreciation?  I was hoping to use straight-line depreciation and "expense" this lot over time in order to more accurately reflect our balance sheet and income statement activity.

Thank you very much!

Answer
You are welcome.

Associate Professor of Accounting, Frank A. Marino (CPA) has a fine
28 page introduction "Handbook for the Church Audit Committee" and
he observes:
--- Start of Excerpt ---
For many churches, especially smaller ones, generally accepted
accounting principles (GAAP) are usually a non-issue. Compliance
with such principles would only become important if the church had
a need to publish its financial statements to outside parties, such
as a lending institution, and was therefore required to have the
statements audited by an independent outside auditing firm.
Statements prepared for internal use by the church and its members
need not conform to generally accepted accounting principles,
although they certainly can be so prepared if the church wishes. It
is usually much simpler for the church to prepare just those
statements and schedules which it finds most useful, however
--- End of Excerpt ---
http://goo.gl/mi5WXF
(page 8)

Then on page 16, "Among those churches which do present such [real] property, there will be even more divergence of practice regarding the recording of depreciation on the property."

Therefore, you can use straight-line depreciation if you wish.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic