Nonprofit Law/Non Profit Concept

Question
Hi - I have a client with a concept for a non profit that involves using a facility to give music instruction and classes to kids in a major city. They want to use the non profit status to get donated equipment, cash donations, etc. They want to charge per student to help cover instructor fees, admin salaries, etc but also want to be able to give away classes to those in need. Program services would include classes, competition, studio time, etc. Their question is 'does charging most students per classes' violate their non profit status? or would it be considered public-support?  The for-profit they operate is a record label with built-in studio. The COO and CEO want to form this non profit to help reach kids.

Answer
Private schools are granted 501(c)(3) organization status by the IRS as long as they are set up on the state level as a nonprofit organization and operate as a 501(c)(3) organization should. See IRS Publication 557 "Tax Exempt Status for Your Organization"
which is available at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p557.pdf for the many rules as to them keeping the operation as a 501(c)(3) organization should.

Specifically, as to educational purposes, see the IRS Exempt Organizations Manual at http://www.irs.gov/irm/part7/irm_07-025-003-cont01.html#d0e1748

501(c)(3) organizations are able to accept donations that are deductible as charitable donations (like equipment and cash) and may certainly charge tuition and fees (as universities and private schools, which are normally 501(c)(3) organizations do).

I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions about IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations. The for-profit has other specialized issues and they or you may want to consult with me about those.  If you want to hire me, send me an email directly to my email address below and I will quote you my fees.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law
Harvey108@hotmail.com

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.  

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic