Nonprofit Law/Non-profit regulators?

Hi. There are a few individuals who are claiming to set up a non-profit organisation. I am more than suspicious that they are using this as a way to try to both disguise and legitimise their agenda pushing.
In at least one instance I am aware of financial inappropriateness and have reported the organisation to the IRS. I suspect it is problematic for the other two organisations too.
What I am more concerned is that the "organisations" set up as "anti-harassment" are somewhat ironically abusive, censoring and immoral. One of the creators is listed in a bullying site outlining her outlandish and nasty behaviour.
I am hoping to see if there is a regulator that can cancel this sham? (I of course will readily provide evidence to show tat they are not actively serving the purpose they claim and so on).
As it is not JUST financial concerns but moreso moral/ethical, it may not be IRS.  was hoping you may be able to point me in the right direction.

I have in my profile that this free forum is only for general questions about IRS federal exemption issues of 501(c)(3) organizations in the United States.  You wrote that you are from Australia and I do not know the law of Australia.  If individuals in the United States claimed certain things and misrepresented then complaints could go not only to the Internal Revenue Service but also the State Attorney General who oversees charities and any trade commission, like the Federal Trade Commission which addresses false advertising.

Harvey Mechanic
Attorney at Law

P.S. This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather more information.

Nonprofit Law

Harvey Mechanic

I am an attorney and I volunteer time to answer general questions about U.S. Federal income tax issues of nonprofit 501(c)(3) public charities only. Those questions could be about establishing and maintaining legal requirements for such non-profit organizations in the United States, including Internal Revenue service filings and requirements. I will not be working on this free forum to answer questions about Nonprofit's possible unrelated or for-profit businesses or how to fill out forms. This forum is only for general questions about federal tax law, not as the law applies to your specific situation. If you do not make your question public then I will not be spending much of my donated time on answers that would not benefit the public. If you have other questions, please contact me at I will reply from my email. In any case, do not reveal confidential information to me until after I have contracted with you to provide personal legal services. My responses on this forum are intended to be general statements of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, and do not create an attorney/client relationship. For me to consider your individual situation and how the law applies, I would need to gather extensive information about the situation. To search my previous answers you can do a Google search by "" without the quotes and then add your search terms before hitting enter.

I have been practicing law and especially the law of nonprofit organizations since 1990 when I was admitted to the New York Bar and I have maintained my status with the Bar since that time.

B.S. Columbia University in New York City, 1970

J.D. (Law Degree) Brooklyn Law School, 1990 -- Cum Laude.